District Profile of Lunglei District:


Lunglei District is one of the eight Administrative Districts of Mizoram with its headquarters at Lunglei. It is located in the southern part of the state. The total geographical area of the district is 4536 sq km with a total population of 161428 and 27889 households. The population density is 36/ sq. km. The sex ratio is 947 females: 1000 males. There are four Rural Development Blocks within the district viz. Lunglei, Hnahthial, Lungsen and Bunghmun. Excepting a few, the whole population belongs to Scheduled Tribe. The climate is suitable for cultivation of almost all crops. Similarly it is also suitable for animal husbandry, fishery, sericulture etc. 


The district has a pleasant climate, which is generally cool in summer and not very cold in winter. In winter the temperature varies from 80C to 240C while in summer it is between 180C to 320C. There is no snowfall in the district, though frost is often experienced in the eastern parts. The western part of the district is lower in elevation compared to the eastern part and hence it experiences a little warmer climate than the eastern part. The temperature starts to fall down sharply from the month of November and it is minimized in December and January. January is the coldest month with the mean daily maximum temperature at 26.6C and the mean daily minimum of 9.9 o C.


The district receives an adequate amount of rainfall which is under the direct influence of the south west Monsoon. It rains heavily from the month of May to September and maximum rainfall is received during the month of July. In fact 80% of the  total rainfall occurs between May and September and only remaining 20% during the other seven months The district is drained by several important rivers like Khawthlangtuipui, Tuichawng, Tlawng, Mat, Tuichang and Tuipui rivers. River Tlawng is the longest river in Mizoram originating from Zopui hill, some 8 kilometres east of Lunglei town at the height of about 1395 metres. The average rainfall for Lunglei District is 2566 mm per annum and precipitation is heavy during summer. This coincidence of the occurrence of south west monsoon with the summer makes the climate favourable for inhabitants of the district since the temperature is kept down to a considerable extent by the usual rains. Normally, June and July are the rainy months while December and January are the dry months.

The total livestock population (2007 Census) was reported to be 2,25,827, where poultry is the highest (77.6%) followed by Pig (16.5%). Other animals reared were cattle, buffaloes, goats, dogs & horses.

The soil is acidic in nature due to heavy rainfall. It contains a high amount of organic carbon and are therefore high in available Nitrogen, low in Phosphorus and Potash content. 

Wetland rice cultivation is practiced in the flood plains of some rivers viz De, Phairuang, Kau, Khawthlangtuipui rivers and ares of South Vanlaiphai. During Rabi season vegetables like Mustard, Cauliflower etc are cultivated in small patches of valley fields in a scattered manner. In general double cropping is not practiced due to lack of facility and sufficient water during the dry season, though in some areas like Tuipui & Zawlpui due to availability of abundant water, double cropping is practiced by farmers of the region. Orange, Banana and Pineapple are some of the main fruits grown in the district. Other crops cultivated are Maize, Ginger, Cowpea, Brinjal etc.